Cosmopolitan Magazine

To say that I am overwhelmed by the love and support people have shown me over the last few days since I posted the picture of the article that Cosmopolitan Magazine published on my story about being diagnosed with lung cancer while in college is an understatement. I am humbled and honored to be able to share a small piece of my story to such a large audience. Say may think or ask, “Taylor was diagnosed with lung cancer 5.5 years ago… why does she continue to talk about her diagnosis?” Well for me the answer is simple. Those of you who know me and who know me well… know that I have spent a lot of time over the last 5.5 years speaking all across the country trying to advocate for lung cancer awareness and working to break the awful stigma that is associated with the disease. The funding for research lags FAR behind other cancers and the 15.5% STAGNANT survival rate hasn’t changed in 40 years since President Nixon declared the war on cancer in 1971. This to me is inexcusable. So, when I get asked to share my story, I do. Even if it is 5.5 years later. At first, right after my diagnosis, I let lung cancer shape me, it consumed my life and it was extremely draining. However, over these past 5 years I have learned that there is a balance to life and my cancer diagnosis isn't who I am but it will ALWAYS be a part of me. Even though I don’t have lung cancer anymore and pray to God that I never will, the experience of being diagnosed with such a serious illness was frightening but in the say way a very precious gift because it taught me so many things about life that I cherish every day. I believe that as a survivor, as one of the 15.5%, as a young healthy female with my whole life to live… that it is not only my responsibility but that I have been called upon to try and speak up for the 210,000 Americans that will be diagnosed this year alone and for the 160,000 people that will unfortunately pass away from lung cancer this year. I want to take a minute to thank all of the amazing people who have supported me throughout the years, who have been my cheerleaders, the ones who have called when I had a scan, or who were there to support my family when I was in the hospital, the ones who have encouraged me to speak up and to never give up hope. I am forever indebted to you and every call; message, wall post, text, and email do not go unnoticed. I am forever grateful for your love and support. Here’s to another 5 more healthy years!

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor, I would like to email you, I am with a company called Theradome and we would like to see if we can work with your blog. If you're interested in learning more, please send me your email address at jenae@theradome.com. (I couldn't find your email on your blog) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Text Message....

To Whom it may Concern....

The White House is "Pink"... What about LUNG CANCER?