Today is a special day…

Today is a special day…
Today is a special day for lung cancer survivors, family members, and advocates. It’s the start of Lung Cancer Awareness Month!! Although it’s hard to follow in the footsteps of breast cancer awareness month, I am grateful that we even have a month.

I have already started to get busy with lung cancer awareness and advocacy and I hope anyone who reads this will start to get busy also. A few weeks ago I was blessed with the opportunity to fly to NYC with Robert. (my boyfriend for those of you who don’t know) It was Robert’s first time ever flying so it was an experience in itself. As if, flying wasn’t a big enough experience. The city is HUGE and very crowded!! The reason for the trip was to speak at a walk held by the LUNGevity Foundation. A young girl named Stacey contacted me this summer about possibly speaking at the walk that they hold in Battery Park. It was a beautiful day and I was honored to be able to speak and learn about a really great organization that is making strides in lung cancer. It’s so nice to have so many wonderful organizations out there trying to make a difference for lung cancer. The race had about 1200 people there and raised a LOT of $$$ for lung cancer. That’s AMAZING! Jess and Stacey, thank you so much for the opportunity to come speak at your walk, it meant the world to me to be able to come! To learn more about LUNGevity please visit: http://events.lungevity.org/site/PageServer

While I’m talking about lung cancer organizations there are a few I have to mention because my life wouldn’t be the same without them. Each is unique in their own way and support different efforts related to lung cancer. My advice to anyone who is looking to join an organization is to pick one that has a local chapter close to you. Although you can be a part of one if it’s not close… it’s nice to have the support of others around you.

The first is the Lung Cancer Alliance. The Lung Cancer Alliance is an organization that is based out of Washington DC. Lung Cancer Alliance is the only national non-profit organization devoted solely to support and advocacy for all those living with or at risk for lung cancer. Lung Cancer Alliance’s mission is to reverse decades of stigma and neglect by empowering those with or at risk for the disease, elevating awareness and changing health policy. I have had the opportunity to work with this wonderful organization and be a part of their lobbying efforts on Capitol Hill. If you are interested in changing health policy and making lung cancer a national priority on a political scale this is the organization for you! For more information go to: http://www.lungcanceralliance.org/about/about.html

The 2nd organization is the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation- this organization is one of a kind and one that I hold very close to my heart. It started when Bonnie was diagnosed with lung cancer and after fighting and winning she decided that enough was enough and that she was going to speak up for the 1.5 million people affected by lung cancer. She created the organization and the work that it has done is incredible. This organization and Bonnie are also responsible for the Jog for Jill campaign to raise awareness and funding for lung cancer and Jill Costello, the young college athlete taken to soon by this horrible disease and a dear friend of mine. The ultimate goal of BJALCF is to increase the inexcusably low survival rate of Lung Cancer by becoming the largest source of non-profit funding dedicated to turning Lung Cancer into a manageable chronic disease in Bonnie’s lifetime. To learn more about the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation and ALCMI please visit: http://www.lungcancerfoundation.org/

The final organization and one that I am a Board member of is the North Carolina Lung Cancer Partnership. We are the first local chapter of the National Lung Cancer Partnership. The organization started with a small group of women who were dedicated to changing lung cancer and have really hit the ground running. I don’t think any of those ladies really thought we would be where we are today, but with their hard work and dedication I can honestly say that we are making a difference in lung cancer and a BIG difference at that. I am honored to be part of the organization and I am proud of the work that we have done. The organization is one of a kind and it’s something I will forever hold near and dear to my heart. Please visit the website to learn more about what we have been doing and ways to get involved. http://www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org/index.cfm?page=chapter_NC

This is where I need your help! This weekend is our annual free to breathe race in Raleigh NC! I have run the 5k 2 years in a row and I have raised funds for our organization. It’s a challenge for me to run a 5k these days because of what I have been through and for also not being in the best shape I can be in. But I am again going to run the 5k this year! And this is where I need your help! As a board member of the organization I was challenged to raise $1000 dollars for fundraising and I am nowhere close to meeting that goal! I need your help! I know times are hard and the economy sucks but please support me and this wonderful organization and cause! The first year I ran I raised over $5,600! I know that you will help me get to only $1,000 this year! Please visit this link to donate and pass along to anyone who might be interested!
http://participate.freetobreathe.org/goto/taylorbell


Supporting the FIGHTERS
Admiring the SURVIVORS
Honoring the TAKEN
And Never Giving Up HOPE
LUNG CANCER AWARENESS 2010

Comments

  1. Taylor, my name is Kathy I am a southern girl just like you. I am from South Carolina and visit Wilmington at least twice a year. I lost my daddy to Lung Cancer 24 years ago. He was 58 and never been seriously sick a day in his life and only lived 4 months after being diagnosed. He had two sisters to pass away from it and they were also 58 when they passed. What I really want to know is about the ribbon. You said either a white or clear one. So who came up with that and what does the white stand for? I want people to realize it does not matter if you smoked or did not smoke it is still cancer and it is not something you want to see a loved one go through. Please let me know what the ribbons stand for and how you came up with the color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is a great source of information which is very useful for me.

    BEST INFORMATION ABOUT LUNG CANCER.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Text Message....

To Whom it may Concern....

The White House is "Pink"... What about LUNG CANCER?