Text Message....

I just got a text from my godbrother who recently lost his grandmother to breast cancer, and I wanted to share it with yall. Josh said "Not sure if you meant it but in your stuff about lung cancer being forgotten in the last few days, you come off as very... I dont know the best way to put it but the most polite is probably desensitized to breast cancer. I get what you are trying to get across but other might not. It seems very close to, "Forget breast cancer. Thats not even the worst one." Just thought I would let you know so you dont allienate a potential proponent for awareness because they get turned off." I hope you guys dont feel that way. Here's my response, "I'm sorry if it comes across that way and anyone who knows me that I support all types of cancer! I work in cancer care and give every breathing second to cancer in some way. You know I actually admire what the breast cancer movement has done over the past 40 years by increasing survival rates to nearly 98%. But what's unfair is the desensitizing attitude that the general public has done to lung cancer patients. I will be quiet when people stop asking me if I smoked to get lung cancer. Until then it's freedom of speech and everyone who I care about knows my heart and intentions and that I support All types of cancer, including breast cancer." After thinking about it and talking with my sister, I think the honest truth is that I am extremely jealous of what the breast cancer community has been able to do. I am jealous of their survival rates, their funding, the lack of stigma. I am jealous of what their PR campaigns have been able to do. And I hope to one day get Lung Cancer there. So for anyones feelings that I hurt or if I came across harsh or uncaring, for that I am very sorry. I hope everyone knows and understands my heart. They know that I chose to go into cancer care to make a difference for all cancer patients. No cancer is better or more important than one cancer or the other. I do believe though that it is my duty and obligation as one of the 15% to speak up on behalf of everyone who isnt able to speak up. PS... For some reason my blog isnt allowing me to make new paragraphs so as soon as I can figure it out I will fix it!

Comments

  1. Taylor...as part of the 85%, I personally am extremely grateful that you have taken on this obligation...and I thank you. Anyone who will take 5 seconds with you will surely understand your heart and passion is for "life" and that we all deserve to have it, regardless of what type of cancer we are fighting. Please keep fighting...for all of those that no longer can. I def understand the frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor, I discovered your blog from a posting at DustyJoy about your article in Cosmo. I understand your frustration. My father passed away from lung cancer 17 years ago, and for years I didn't talk about it because I was tired of the question, "Was he a smoker?" Does it matter? You explained the situation about breast cancer perfectly- it's sort of a sadness, and sort of an anger, and sort of a jealously. Those who never experienced it will never understand it. Another problem I have with the whole image of breast cancer awareness is that, it almost has gotten to the point where it is a pop culture thing, and it has moved so far away from the cause that it started with. I mean, really, I see cars with "Save the tah tahs" stickers. Really? I feel that if I were combating breast cancer, I'd find that attitude extremely insulting. I went to a baseball game and saw a pink shirt that said "Save Second Base.'' So now we're associating breast cancer with juvenile slang for feeling up a girl? I personally hope lung cancer awareness never gets to the point where wearing a color means you "care" about something. Purchasing items where "proceeds go to breast cancer awareness" (I always wonder, how much of the proceeds, and exactly what kind of "awareness?") does not mean you necessarily care about the cause- donating your time and passion, as you are doing, does, for ALL cancers. And yes, I hope that one day, cancer research, survivors, and all those affected by it, can all come together, and not have these- for lack of a better word- "factions" of breast, lung, prostate, skin, etc- but that can't happen until we ALL understand that NO one deserves cancer. Thanks for what you are doing.
    -Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Whom it may Concern....

The White House is "Pink"... What about LUNG CANCER?